PRUSSIAN WAR COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL FOR COMBATANTS.
Obverse square ended cross type with date ‘1815’ to centre.
Reverse centre with ‘PRUSSEN TAPFER KRIEGERN’ (To Prussia's Brave Warriors) And round the edge ‘GOTT WAR MIT UNS, IHM SEY DIE EHRE’ (God was by our side, to Him belongs the Glory)
Impressed to the rim "AUS EROBERTEM GESCHÜTZ" (from conquered gun).
The medal, which was made from captured enemy cannons, was instituted by King Friedrich Wilhelm III at Frankfurt-am-Main on 24 December 1813 and amended on 3 October 1815 to be awarded to ‘all warriors who without exception, whether in the field or before a fortress, truly fought and uncompromisingly did their duty throughout this current conflict’
The medal was issued with the dates ‘1813’, ‘1814’, 1813/1814’ and ‘1815’. There were two types manufactured, one with square ends to the cross, the other rounded.